Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 8, 2012SoonerScoop.com is high atop Memorial Stadium ready to give analysis on the home opener as OU takes on Florida A&M on Owen Field.
* Casey Walker is dressed in street clothes on the sideline.
* P.L. Lindley is suited out during warmpus and appears to be making his way back from that high ankle sprain.
* Chaz Nelson is not dressed out and is hanging with Daniel Brooks on the sideline.
* Everything else seems to be fairly normal during warmups.
* Malfunction on the scoreboard to start the game. David King was being introduced on a New York rooftop instead of Moordoor this year.
* The Ed Harris narration is pretty cool. I didn't even think of him in the Rock like I thought I would.
* The there's only one was good. The video was a little choppy. It had a line running down the middle of it that was kind of strange.
* Sooners have come out of the tunnel. You can watch the pay-per-view for free inside the stadium.
* I think the Marc Heitz captain of the game should be able to fight a kid from Florida A&M at the coin toss. That would be kind of cool.
SOONERS WILL KICK OFF TO START THE GAME. FAMU WILL START AT THE 22-YARD LINE
* Florida A&M calls a timeout before they even snap the ball.
* After timeout OU gives up two big plays including a 14-yard run on 2nd-and-short.
* Javon Harris with a nice one-on-one tackle on a flat pass. It's now third-down.
* R.J. Washington provides the pressure and flushes the FAMU QB where he slips and falls down right by Jamarkus McFarland who is credited with the sack.
JUSTIN BROWN FAIR CATCHES PUNT AT THE 30-YARD LINE
* Jones hits Brown to start things off for eight yards. Metoyer, Stills and Whaley.
* Whaley can't pick up the first-down and here comes the Belldozer on the very first series.
* OU didn't have a left tackle and they had to call a timeout. Tyrus Thompson ran onto the field late.
* Blake Bell stuffed and Sooners don't pick up the first down. Three-and-out after an 8-yard pass on 1st-down. So much for that staying out of third-and-long excuse...
FAMU TAKES OVER AFTER 45-YARD PUNT BY WAY. RATTLERS AT THE 13-YARD LINE
* His name is Jesse Paulson made the tackle on the punt. A 4-yard loss.
* Florida A&M calls another timeout before snapping the ball.
* The timeout game continues to work. Colvin gives up a 26-yard reception on first-down. Play is under review. Replay looks like he was in.
* Call is upheld. 1st-and-10 at FAMU 39. Flag on the play. This game is going to take about 5 hours at this pace. 9:58 remaining in first quarter.
* R.J. Washington continues to get pressure on the FAMU QB. Pass incomplete.
* Short completion brings up 3rd-and-9 from the FAMU 40-yard line.
* Another false start penalty on FAMU. It was the guy trying to block R.J.
* Chuka got pressure off the other edge and McFarland hurried FAMU QB into an incompletion. Brown back to field punt. He actually dropped it but fell right on top of it.
OU TAKES OVER ON THE 33-YARD LINE
* Lets have more commercials for this game you're already paying to see.
* Landry throws a ball right to FAMU DB but he drops it. First down ugliness.
* Screen to Dominique Whaley results in a first-down.
* Great catch by Kenny Stills who one hands a ball over the middle of the field. Then FAMU called for targeting the head.
* Okay, that's old school Dom Whaley down to the 3-yard line.
* 1st-and-Goal from three and no Belldozer. Damien Williams runs a power play right into the endzone.
OU 7 FAMU 0
Scoring drive was five plays, 67 yards, 1:18
FAMU TAKES OVER A THE 16-YARD LINE
* Aaron Franklin sacks FAMU QB after David King chases him out of the pocket on 3rd-and-long. FAMU punting out of own endzone.
* Justin Brown returns punt for a TD but this one might be out about the three-yard line. Looks like his foot did go out at the three-yard line.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE FAMU 4-YARD LINE
* Not sure if this is all that great to have special teams creating all these big plays. If this thing gets out of hand, OU doesn't have as much of a chance to work on their offense.
* No Belldozer on this drive inside the five-yard line.
* None needed. Damien Williams bulldozes his way into the endzone behind Bronson Irwin and Gabe Ikard.
OU 14 FAMU 0 5:17 remaining in the first quarter.
Scoring drive was 1 play, 4 yards and :05 off the clock.
FAMU TAKES OVER AT THE 25-YARD LINE
* Tony Jefferson comes up and just kills the FAMU RB. 2nd-and-9.
* P.L. Lindley on the field with Rashod Favors.
* Javon Harris picks it off at midfield. Jesse Paulsen was in the game for Tony Jefferson. We'll have to keep an eye on that.
* Landry Jones completes two straight passes to Kenny Stills. I wonder if Brown and Metoyer are getting pissed yet.
* Gabe Ikard gets a personal foul called against him. That's very unusual.
* Tony Jefferson being look at on the sideline. Looks like his right ankle.
* Stills drops a touchdown pass from Jones. Hit him right in the gut. Dropped right in the bread basket.
* Jones finally throws to another receiver, Brannon Green. Pass was caught just out of bounds.
* That was just an inexcusable drop by Stills. Couldn't have been an easier catch for a 40-yard TD.
FAMU TAKES OVER AT TEH EIGHT-YARD LINE
* Tony Jefferson is back on the field.
* Now OU calls a timeout before the first snap.
* Javon Harris have a whale of a game. He just tattooed a FAMU receiver. 3rd-and-1.
* Tony Jefferson is limping off the field again. Definitely his right ankle. He might be done.
SOONERS TAKE OVER AT 33-YARD LINE AFTER A SOMEWHAT SHAKY EFFORT BY BROWN TO FIELD PUNT
* Damien Williams in the game for the first time not in redzone situation.
END OF FIRST QUARTER. OU 14 FAMU 0
FIRST QUARTER STATS
Landry Jones 5-of-8 for 61 yards and 0 TD
Dom Whaley 2 carries for 13 yards
Damien Williams 2 carries for 9 yards and 2 TD.
* Landry completes a pass to someone besides Kenny Stills. He hits Trey Metoyer.
* Then he forces a pass over the middle to Kenny Stills into triple coverage and is intercepted.
FAMU TAKES OVER AT 34-YARD LINE
* No Tony Jefferson and Jesse Paulsen makes a great play in the run game.
* FAMU goes three-and-out.
* Brown makes latest fair catch I've ever seen.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE 23-YARD LINE
* I also think Marc Heitz should sponsor a former player to tackle the fans from the opposing school who OU likes to recognize in game.
* Seems like it's been forever since Whaley has carried. 5-yard gain there.
* Whaley carries for two-yards and fumbles ball over to FAMU.
FAMU TAKES OVER AT OU 30-YARD LINE
* Whaley has had ball security issues both games now.
* FAMU ends up with a 41-yard field goal after picking up just six yards.
OU 14 FAMU 3
* Roy Finch actually touched blades of grass on Owen Field. He was on the kick return team.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE 25-YARD LINE
* Geneo Grissom makes an appearance. Landry throws to him, incomplete as pass was batted down.
* Justin Brown makes a spectacular catch in double coverage after Landry takes a shot downfield as FAMU was offsides. It was a 46-yard pass.
* Landry says, 'screw it' and throws a jump ball to Trey Metoyer. Metoyer can't come down with it in the endzone.
* OU called for clipping after Kenny Stills takes a middle screen all the way inside the 10-yard line.
* Jones comes right back to Stills for a first-down at the 15-yard line. 20-something yard gain.
* Damien Williams goes 15 yards into the endzone for his third touchdown of the day.
OU 21 FAMU 3
Scoring drive was 7 plays, 75 yards, 1:32.
OU's scoring drives have all been very quick today.
FAMU TAKES OVER AT THE 25-YARD LINE AFTER A TOUCHBACK
* Jordan Phillips and Marquis Anderson are in the game at defensive tackles. Marquis forced pressure on that play.
* Jesse Paulsen takes out down marker guy and stops to make sure he's okay. OU needs tougher players than that. Ain't got no time for that.
* Justin Brown with another huge punt return. He gets the ball all the way down ot the 8-yard line. 62-yard punt return.
* Brown hit the sideline and weaved his way back to the middle of the field and used several blockers to setup his return. Very nice.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE SIX-YARD LINE
* Landry tries to escape pressure and spins right into a sack. A 10-yard loss. Now 3rd-and-Goal from the 16.
* Landry throws to Stills for the touchdown. Landry pretty ignored Durron Neal down the middle and threw a back shoulder pass to Stills who out-jumped his defender for the TD.
OU 28 FAMU 3
Scoring Drive: 3 plays, 8 yards, 1:15
FAMU TAKES OVER AT 22-YARD LINE
* Hurst just got toasted for a 75-yard TD. This Harvey kid for FAMU can play. He's made a lot of amazing grabs tonight even though a couple were out of bounds.
OU 28 FAMU 10
* Someone asking on the board, but I would assume Jefferson does have a high-ankle sprain. They taped him once, then he went back out and limped off and he hasn't returned. His name is Jesse Paulsen is playing really well though in his place.
OU TAKES OVER AT 13-YARD LINE
* Damien Williams back in there.
* Sterling Shepard in the game at slot. Justin Brown might be banged up. Kenny Stills playing outside in his place now.
* Damien Williams with a nice run up the middle. OU now at their own 48-yard line.
* Sterling Shepard makes his first catch and gets a rousing ovation. 11-yard reception.
* Stills went into the band in the endzone and seemed to be hurt. He walked off, but you could tell he was pissed no one in the band stopped him from crashing into the wall. Could be some interesting tweets out of this.
* With Stills out it's Metoyer, Shepard and Neal at WR.
* The Belldozer returns and picks up an easy first down. Kenny Stills back into the game.
* I don't think Justin Brown is coming back into the game.
* Metoyer makes a fantastic 18-yard TD reception. That's the kind of stuff we expected. Metoyer dove and looked like he caught the back of the football.
OU 35 FAMU 10
Scoring drive: 11 plays, 87 yards 3:43. First legitimate long drive of the day in terms of time.
FAMU TAKES OVER AT 15-YARD LINE WITH :31 REMAINING IN FIRST HALF
END OF THE FIRST HALF
LANDRY JONES 15-of-23 for 211 yards 2 TD 1 INT
DAMIEN WILLIAMS 7 CARRIES 45 YARDS 3 TDs
KENNY STILLS 7 CATCHES 91 YARDS 1 TD
METOYER 3 CATCHES 30 YARDS 1 TD
BROWN 2 CATCHES 55 YARDS
SECOND QUARTER UNDERWAY
* Roy Finch returns the kickoff to the 33-yard line but still hasn't been in the game as a position player.
* Justin Brown back out to start the second half.
* Screen madness to start the second half. OU going backwards. 3rd-and-13.
* Jones hits Stills for 21 yards on 3rd-and-13. Back to Stills for another first down.
* Brennan Clay runs himself out of a potential long run.
Brennan Clay breaks his career long run and goes for 19 yards down to the FAMU three-yard line.
* Clay bursts into the endzone from three-yards out for a TD.
OU 42 FAMU 10 12:11 REMAINING IN THIRD
Scoring drive was 8 plays, 67 yards in 2:43
FAMU WILL TAKE OVER AT THE 25-YARD LINE WITH 12:11 REMAINING IN THIRD
* Sooners still going with King and McFarland at tackles. Time to get those guys out.
* Or time to get Phillips and Anderson more work I should say.
* FAMU goes three-and-out. Justin Brown back to return the kick.
* Brown is pretty damn good as a return man. Unfortunately a nice return was called back because of a block in the back.
OU TAKES OVER AT 11-YARD LINE WITH 10:45 REMAINING
* You'd think this would be Landry's last drive of the night if they score, but it probably won't be.
* 89-yard TD run by Damien Williams. Boom!
* And Damien Williams is a fast, fast man. He just ran away from the FAMU team.
OU 49 FAMU 10 10:34 REMAINING
1 play, 89 yards :11
FAMU TAKES OVER AT 24-YARD LINE
* Mike Onuoha and Charles Tapper, Jordan Phillips and Marquis Anderson in the game on the DL.
* Williams 89-yard run ties for the 7th longest TD run in OU history.
* FAMU finally kicks it away from Justin Brown.
OU TAKES OVER AT 26-YARD LINE
* Landry Jones going back in the game with OU up 49-10.
* Millard with a 15-yard run.
* Millard gets the ball again and hurdles two defenders. FAMU just seems like they've quit.
* Sooner ripping off huge chunks of yardage. 18 yards from Damien Williams. Sooners also have Bester in the game for the first time tonight.
* Here's where Bob screws up on backup QBs. This was probably one of two final drives Blake Bell could have come in and thrown the football without it looking back.
Now OU is just running wild and they are heading toward the endzone again. Once Bell comes in, it's going to look like they are running up the score if he starts throwing the ball. Bob just wasted an opportunity for Bell to come in and throw the ball.
* Landry throws to Marshall Musil for a first down. OU now at the 10-yard line.
* Brennan Clay runs over the right side for a 10-yard TD run.
* Kasitati has been in there a lot for Adam Shead.
OU 56 FAMU 10 6:49 LEFT IN THIRD
Scoring drive 6 plays, 74 yards in 2:36
* It would seem criminal to put Landry Jones back in the game now.
FAMU TAKES OVER AT THE 20-YARD LINE
* Gary Simon is in the game for the first time tonight at cornerback.
* Bunch of young guys in on defense now with just under 6:00 to go in third.
* Julian Wilson with a really nice play on the outside. Fought through the blocker and made the tackle on a flat pass.
* Damien Williams' 156 yards rushing is the most ever for a debut on Owen Field.
* Marquis Anderson with a nice play in the run game chasing down the running back.
* FAMU kicks a 46-yard field goal.
OU 56 FAMU 13 2:10 remaining in the game.
* Blake Bell warming up on the sideline getting ready to go in the game.
ROY FINCH JUST HAS A NIFTY KICKOFF RETURN
OU STARTS AT 46-YARD LINE
* Blake Bell in there and so is Domique Whaley. Whaley's first carry since fumbling early in the game. Out of the doghouse.
* Blake Bell sacked when he drops back to throw for the first time.
END OF THE THIRD QUARTER
* Blake Bell completes first pass to Brannon Green for a first-down. OU driving at the 18-yard line.
* We've got a Romo-Whitten thing going. Bell goes for Green in the endzone again. Pass incomplete.
* Whaley runs it down to the four-yard line.
* This is interesting. OU not in the Belldozer with Bell on the field 1st-and-Goal at the four and Whaley runs it in for the TD off-tackle.
OU 62 FAMU 10 13:52 REMAINING IN THE GAME
Scoring drive was 8 plays, 54 yards in 3:10.
* OU's seven rushing TDs is their most since North Texas in 2007.
FAMU BALL ON THE 25-YARD LINE
* OU going with the young DL once again. Tapper, Onuoha, Anderson and Phillips. Frank Shannon and Aaron Franklin in the game at LBs.
* Anderson sacks FAMU QB. He's having a nice showing tonight.
* OU defense holds.
OU TAKES OVER ON 29-YARD LINE
* Roy Finch in the game at running back!
* Blake Bell goes deep over the middle to Shepard for a 28-yard reception.
* Blake Bell sacked for a big loss.
* Austin Woods in the game. Ty Darlington at center right now. Derek Farniok at right tackle.
* Shepard on a nice screen and run on 2nd-and-forever. Now 3rd-and-9.
* Bell gets out on the edge after being flushed from the pocket and runs for the first down. I felt sorry for that DB trying to tackle him.
* Roy Finch with a great run. 11-yard gain. Finch! Finch! Finch!
* Finch for a 15-yard TD run. Free Finch! Free Finch! Free Finch!
OU 69 FAMU 13
It's time to head down to the field for the post game folks. More to come after the game.