Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 14, 2013We are underway in Norman as Blake Bell gets his first start of the season. Carey Murdock is in the pressbox with analysis of the action.
* Stanvon Taylor getting the start instead of Colvin or Cortez Johnson at cornerback.
* Damien Williams is not suited out today.
* Sooners go right down the field to score on their opening possession behind Bell. That offense didn't look anything like the zone read Trevor Knight offense of the last two weeks. It looked like the Landry Jones offense.
* Bell with another great TD throw. He breaks Sam Bradford's record for most passing yards in first start by a QB
* Time to head down to the field. A lot of questions to ask about injuries, change in offense, future of offense, etc.
OU 7 TULSA 0
* Stanvon Taylor starts in place of Cortez Johnson. Did he and Damien Williams break curfew together last night?
* Taylor gets a nice stop on third down.
* I should mention Tyrus Thompson also got the start at left tackle.
* Blake Bell hits Jaz Reynolds over the middle for an 82-yard gain. Reynolds got caught from behind.
* Bell just hit Reynolds on a slant over the middle and it opened wide up. I'm a little surprised Reynolds didn't outrun the defenders.
*Reynolds took the pass to the 4-yard line but OU couldn't capitalize. Brennan Clay was hit behind the line of scrimmage and Bell couldn't find a receiver open. Sooners settle for a field goal.
OU 10 TULSA 0
Sooner offense has had some zone read but it's nowhere near what they were running with Knight at the helm.
* Weird stat of the day. Jaz Reynoldss' 82-yard pass reception is the longest non-scoring pass play in OU history. That's kind of a dubious stat.
* Corey Nelson nearly picks off a pass. Batted it up in the air but it falls incomplete.
* Cortez Johnson is on the sidelines. It appears he is available to play. They are just going with Stanvon.
* Dominique Alexander getting a lot of playing time early. OU going with four LBs
* Huge bust for the OU defense. Tulsa gains 25 yards on a pass down to the OU 13-yard line. I don't know where the bust was. It was on Zach Sanchez's side of the field. But a safety or linebacker may have been responsible for coming up to cover.
* Jordan Wade has been in the game early today at DT.
* Gabe Lynn just kicked out of the game for targeting. Didn't look like it watching the replay. Looked like shoulder to shoulder.
* Thing is, even if refs put Lynn back in the game, it's still a 15-yard penalty.
* Lynn not ejected from the game. Reviews showed it was not targeting. Penalty still stands.
* Tulsa scores a TD shortly after.
OU 10 TULSA 7
11 PLAYS 75 YARDS 4:51 ON THE TULSA SCORING DRIVE.
* No doubt Tulsa is going after Stanvon Taylor at corner. He picked up a pass interference call after that targeting penalty on Gabe Lynn, that penalty that was overturned but still stood.
END OF THE FIRST QUARTER
Much more offense from Oklahoma today. Blake Bell has 133 yards of passing thanks to that 82-yarder to Jaz Reynolds.
* Are you sitting at home watching Blake Bell pass the ball wondering why he lost the job to Trevor Knight? Yeah, me too.
* OU doesn't have it's best running back today in goal line situations. Not sure why, but Damien Williams is nowhere to be found.
* Bell to Shepard over the middle for a TD pass.
* The OU offense, and Blake Bell, look really, really good.
OKLAHOMA 17 TULSA 7
* Sooners back out on defense and they are a bit up and down. Tulsa able to pick up some key third-downs.
* Then Gabe Lynn picks off the next pass and returns it to the Tulsa 33-yard line.
* Blake Bell throws a 29-yard TD pass to Roy Finch. Finch looked really good shaking defenders and basically made a guy look stupid as he cut into the endzone.
OKLAHOMA 24 TULSA 7
Blake Bell is 11-of-13 for 223 yards and 2 TDs. Very few shaky throws from him today either. He's hitting people in stride, the receivers look great, he's moving around and delivering the ball.
* Hatari Byrd now in the game replacing Gabe Lynn. Lynn just picked off a pass so hopefully he isn't injured.
* The youngsters are coming to play on defense. Stanvon Taylor doing a lot of good things out there. Tapper with a stick on D. Tulsa still going after Stanvon but he defends a pass on 3rd-and-7.
* Keith Ford is in the game at running back for OU.
* There haven't been a lot of injuries or stoppages of play today.
* Keith Ford continues getting carries and looks good. Nice patience. Waits for the hole to develop.
* Blake Bell hits Sterling Shepard on a deep route for 44 yards to the Tulsa 10-yard line. Bell overthrew it just a bit but put enough air on the pass to let Shepard run under it. It should have been a TD, but that's a major step forward for throws from OU's QBs this year. Bell is at 279 yards passing. He could be at 300 yards by halftime.
OU kicks a 30-yard FG and now leads 27-7. Blake threw a fade into the endzone way too far for Neal to have a chance.
* Tulsa's Watts has a pass go right through his arms. He was wide open down the field.
HALFTIME OU 27 TULSA 7
* Blake Bell is 15-of-21 for 281 yards and 2 TDs, no INTs.
* OU has 346 yards of total offense to Tulsa's 144.
START OF SECOND HALF
* Hatari Byrd back out on the field starting at safety for Gabe Lynn. It would appear his day is done. Will check sideline for him.
* Corey Nelson drops an interception that hits him right in the hands.
GREAT PUNT RETURN BY JALEN SAUNDERS
* Saunders returns it to teh Tulsa 35-yard line. 28 yards.
* Keith Ford starts the second half at running back.
* Blake Bell throws another beautiful pass over the middle and he hits Sterling Shepard for a 35-yard TD. Bell now with 316 yards and 3 TDs on the day.
OKLAHOMA 34 TULSA 7
* OU defense is getting gashed a bit in the running game. A little concerning with Notre Dame looming.
* Jordan Phillips went down but walked off on his own. Looks to be OK.
* At some point the injuries on the defense are causing some breakdowns. Tulsa completes a 35-yard pass against Sanchez in one-on-one coverage. Sanchez played it well but just got beat.
26-yard FG for Tulsa.
OKLAHOMA 34 TULSA 10
* Sooners have their first punt of the day with 6:28 remaining in 3rd quarter.
* I think I jinxed special teams doing a story on Jay Boulware this week. Tulsa with a 77-yard punt return to the OU 9-yard line.
Tulsa field goal makes it 34-13 OU.
* Here's my question about Bell. It's kind of a conspiracy theory.
Did Heupel not want Bell because he knew he was just going to continue the Landry Jones offense?
He knew he needed to move to an Oregon style offense to take OU to the next level? Because that is what it seems like to me...
* Bell hasn't been great on the deep ball today. He puts a little too much air under the ball at times. That might be the place where he's a little too jacked up starting his first game.
* Sooner drive stalls. Hunnicutt kicks a 36-yard FG. OU 37 Tulsa 13
* It also occurs to me Stoops can say they didn't want to run Blake much today because they didn't want him to get hurt with so much uncertainty about their backup QB.
* OU defense is not playing well in the fourth quarter. OU makes wholesale changes on the defensive line. Guys are tired. Pass rush is non-existent.