Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
September 28, 2013
OU heads to Notre Dame once again in the Stoops era
Oklahoma takes on Notre Dame looking to avenge last year's 30-13 loss in Norman. Carey Murdock is in the pressbox with all the analysis.
* Notre Dame will receive to start the game. First chance to see what a broken hand does to Frank Shannon.
NOTRE DAME DAMES TAKES OVER AT THE 25-YARD LINE
* Rees goes deep on the first play of the game but Sanchez does a great job defending. Shannon does start the game at linebacker with the broken bone in the right arm.
* Rees gets hit by Striker on the blindside and the ball is intercepted by Corey Nelson and returned for an OU touchdown.
Shades of Rocky Calmus and Roy Williams on that play. Nelson just had a wide open lane to the endzone. It couldn't have opened up any more wide. Easy touchown after picking it off.
* Also interesting that Nelson dropped a couple of interceptions against Tulsa.
OU 7 ND 0
* It was the first career interception. I'm reminding everyone how I said Corey Nelson was the best player on OU's defense that wasn't being used...
* Nelson ran that interception right into Eddie Radosevich's lap. That should be some high quality ScoopHD.
NOTRE DAME RETURNS IT OUT TO THE 34-YARD LINE
* That was a 29-yard return by Atkinson. Rees out again. Maybe ND will
oops. Frank Shannon intercepts Rees on his first pass. Colvin on the deflection. Frank Shannon's first career INT. OU takes over on the ND 32-yard line.
17-yard return by Shannon.
OU ON OFFENSE FOR THE FIRST TIME
* Brennan Clay gets the start at tailback for the Sooners. Bell starts the game with a 5-yard completion to Saunders.
* Sooners all the way to the 11-yard line. Offense moving quickly.
* Williams runs in around the right side for an 11-yard TD.
OU 14 ND 0
* Sooners could not have asked for a better start to this game. Give all the credit to the defense and give Josh Heupel some credit for coming out with some nice pace on offense.
* Sooners took over at the 32-yard line but only needed 1:35 to score. Bell just had to make a few easy passes.
* Sooners have 19 yards rushing. They've already eclipsed their total from last year's loss to Notre Dame.
* Notre Dame gets their first big pass play of the game and they are called for offensive pass interference.
* Notre Dame turns the ball over on downs.
OU TAKING OVER ON OFFNESE AT THEIR OWN 39-YARD LINE
* Sooners going empty in the backfield quite a bit. Bell completes a laser to Jaz Reynolds for a first down to the ND 43-yard line.
Nice pass by Bell. Sooners still going empty in the backfield.
* Bell has his first poor throw of the game trying to hit Clay down the field.
* Bell throws too high for Saunders on 3rd-and-long. He's been throwing a little high most of the day so far.
* Sooners will punt for the first time today.
* Barnett not a great punt. It was short and then shot forward into the endzone.
NOTRE DAME TAKES OVER AT THE 20-YARD LINE
Notre Dame gets their first first down on an 11-yard pass. Kind of a bronx cheer from the ND faithful.
* Notre Dame might be able to get a run game going here soon. It just feels like they are getting close.
* And now Notre Dame is running the ball on OU's defense. They are still going with that three-man front. Tapper, Phillips and Grissom with Striker coming up at end.
* Rees comes in to complete a 3rd-and-long. Notre Dame is moving the ball for the first time today. OU defense not having answers for the first time today. They are in OU territory for the first time today at the 40.
* Sooners brought in Jordan Wade and Chuka and Notre Dame ran for 36 yards. to the 3-yard line.
* Notre Dame false start at the 1-yard line. OU takes out Chuka and Matt Dimon and brings back Tapper and Grissom.
* Rees hits Jones for a 6-yard TD pass to pull back within 7 points. OU defense just got worked on that drive.
OU 14 ND 7
* The Golden Domers have figured out they can run the ball on this OU defense. Strap up. It's gonna get interesting now.
FINCH WITH A DANGEROUS KICKOFF RETURN ALMOST STEPS OUT AT THE 1-YARD LINE BUT GETS IT TO THE 24-YARD LINE
* Doesn't look like OU is interested in running the zone read the way they did with Trevor Knight at QB.
* Damien Williams with a big run. 19 yards on 1st down.
* A designed run for Bell picks up 9 yards.
* Wow Damien Williams can't pick up the first down on 3rd-and-short. He is run to the sideline and loses a yard officially.
* Jed Barnett kicks the punt into the stands. Barnett takes out the Notre Dame band. Terrible punt. Notre Dame takes over on the 20.
* Williams tried to kick that run outside, just should have stuck his nose in the pile and pushed forward.
NOTRE DAME TAKES OVER
It's not a terrible day, but Julian Wilson is not having a great day so far. He's giving up some plays in the passing game.
END OF THE FIRST QUARTER
Notre Dame is storming back after giving the Sooners 14 points to start this game. Bell has been inconsistent throwing the ball today as he's thrown too high on several passes. OU should probably still have the ball but Sooners didn't try and punch it up the gut on 3rd-and-inches.
OKLAHOMA TAKES OVER INSIDE THEIR 10-YARD LINE
* Huge play by Corey Nelson to stop ND QB on 3rd-and-short.
* Bell was actually 4-of-7 in the first half. Seemed a bit more wild than that. 31 yards.
* He's come out much sharper on this drive. Two straight completions.
* 15-yard penalty on Notre Dame. DB hit Bester right in the head during pass.
* This is the best the OU offense has looked going the distance of the field.
* And the Belldozer fails on 4th-and-short. ND takes overa t their own 42-yard line.
OU run game plan looks rough today.
NOTRE DAME DRIVING AGAIN
* Sooners need to do something to stop this Notre Dame momentum after that failed Belldozer 4th-down. Defense looks like it is wearing down.
* Sanchez has a chance for an INT in the endzone. Would have been a tough catch, but could have made it.
* Julian Wilson intercepts Rees ath the 12-yard line. Pass was batted into the air by Sanchez.
* OU defense comes up big again. I couldn't tell you last time OU had three picks in a half.
* OU gets a break when Notre Dame player called for personal foul because he continued to play when his helmet came off. OU starting to pund the ball on the ground here.
* Bell pulls it down and runs for 12 yards for a key first down on 3rd-and-long.
* Bell gets it to Bester for a 26-yard TD pass. Bell made a great throw where on Bester could get it. Only true drive of the day for this OU offense and it puts them up 21-7 with :42 remaining in the first half.
* Bell only has one incompletion in the second quarter. He's 12-of-16 for 102 yards and 1 TD.
OU 21 ND 7
Can't think Notre Dame is interested putting the ball in the air with :42 remaining down 21-7.
OU 190 ND 164
Blake Bell 12-of-16 for 102 yards 1 TD
Blake Bell 6 for 34 yards
Damien Williams 4 for 31 yards 1 TD
Saunders 4 for 25
Bester 1 for 26 yards 1 TD
OU 12 ND 8
START OF THE SECOND HALF
* Finch tries to bring the ball out and is tackled at the 12-yard line. It would be another long drive for this OU offense to make it 28-7.
* ND's Louis Nix is down on the field.
* Nix alks off under his own power. Maybe just a tweaked ankle on his left leg.
* Nix is on the bench surrounded by trainers.
* Sooners go right up the middle but Nix returns on very next play.
* Bell fails to pickup first down on 3rd-and-short. stuffed.
* Barnett with a 49-yard punt.
NOTRE DAME TAKES OVER AT THE 20-YARD LINE
* 80-yard touchdown run by Atkinson pulls the Irish within 7 like a lightning bolt. It was the longest of his career.
Another OU/Notre Dame game, another huge run.
* Sooners defense on that play had Tapper, Phillips, Grissom, Nelson, Shannon, Alexander and Striker in the game. 4 LBs and 3 DLs.
OU 21 ND 14
TREY FRANKS RETURNS OT THE OU 48-YARD LINE.
* Did Notre Dame get away with a targeting foul on Saunders there? Ball knocked loose. Stoops seemed to be pretty pissed.
* Sooners finally pick up a 3rd-and-short at the ND 41-yard line.
* Great swing pass and execution by OU offense. Notre Dame defenders hit the ground and OU blocked it really well. 17-yard pass to Damien Williams.
* Bell pulls it down and runs for 10. Sooners really moving.
Another big 3rd down at the 6-yard line.
* Sooners run an option. Bell should have pitched to MIllard. Play loses three yards. Hunnicutt in for a 27-yard FG try. It's good.
OU 24 ND 14 WITH 8:11 TO GO IN THE THIRD QUARTER
* Corey Nelson gets in on Rees and Jordan Phillips finishes it off. OU dialing up the pressure on this possession and force Notre Dame to punt.
* Personal foul on Ahmad Thomas kills OU field position after a terrible punt by Notre Dame.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE 33-YARD LINE WITH 6:36 REMAINING IN THE THIRD
* Bell throws his first pass today that had a chance to be intercepted. First time I remember seeing him throw under that much pressure too. he just chunked it.
* Trevor Knight running the zone read now and OU down to the ND 2-yard line.
Knight's 30-yard run started this thing. Brennan Clay with a big run too.
* Knight runs out of bounds without throwing it and loses 6 yards.
* Hunnicutt kicks an 18-yard FG to make the score 27-14 in favor of OU.
* I got off track taking shots at BBJ and Heupel on Twitter. Notre Dame driving again. Atkinson just ripping through this OU defense.
* Sooners lose ND tight end and the 30-yard TD pulls ND closer to OU at 27-21 with 14:10 remaining in the game.
SOONERS TAKE OVER ON THE 25-YARD LINE WITH BLAKE BELL BACK AT QB
* OU swing passes have been one of their best plays today.
* Sooners quickly out to midfield. Bell has not been running after those cramping issues.
* Bell to Shepard for a 54-yard TD. Great run by Shepard. He caught a slant pass and just outran everyone. It was 3rd-down on the huge play.
* Bell and Shepard connect for 2-pt try and Sooners put it back to a 14-pt lead.
OU 35 ND 21
SOONERS GET A BIG STOP AND TAKE OVER POSSESSION AT THEIR OWN 29-YARD LINE WITH 11:10 REMAINING
* Jordan Phillips hobbled off the field after that third down stop.
* We'll have to check on Brennan Clay after the game. He was the victim of targeting by Notre Dame. It was pretty much textbook. Sooners will have to punt it away with 8:10 remaining.
I WOULD SAY THIS IS THE CRITICAL DRIVE OF THE GAME.
* The OU defense needs to get a hold here to bleed this one out.