Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
October 12, 2013
Instant analysis of the Red River Rivalry
It is not uncommon, but OU fans have flooded the stadium way ahead of Texas fans at this point.
* Jordan Phillips will not play today as he is not dressed out. He's in shorts and his jersey but he'll be sidelined again today.
* Corey Nelson will not play but he was completely dressed out with the rest of the team. He did not stretch and did not have a helmet on.
* I failed to see any other significant injuries or absences during pregame warmups.
* Trevor Knight did seem to be warming up like a guy that drank too much coffee. Is he going to be a part of the gameplan today?
* From the pressbox, the only real noticeable jersey change are the gold on the shoes. The gold trim around the numbers is barely noticeable. You can see the flash of gold on the emblems on the pants and shoulders.
* About 6 minutes to go before kick and the Longhorns have snuck in here but still quite a few pockets of empty seats in their section. OU fanss are geeked up for this one already.
* OU intro video starts out with Roy Williams Superman play.
* Corey Nelson comes out with the captains for the coin flip without a helmet but dressed up like everyone else.
* If OU is killing Texas at halftime, Nelson should just put some shorts on. He's done enough.
* If you are one of the guys carrying out the flags for Texas when they come out of the tunnel, doesn't that just signify there is no way you'll actually play.
TEXAS STARTS GAME AT 25-YARD LINE
* Jordan Wade gets the start at DT and Texas starts off with a 9-yard run to Daje Johnson.
Chuka Ndulue and Geno Grissom get the start at DEs.
* Dominique Alexander gets the start of Corey Nelson.
* Texas definitely challenging the Sooners on the ground early. Start the game with 4 straight run plays.
* McCoy leads UT to two straight first downs. Picks up the second on a 3rd-and-7.
* OU defense is laying some hits early.
* McCoy is also getting a lot of protection early. OU hasn't sent a lot of blitzers so far.
* McCoy then picks up a 3rd-and-13 as OU just lets a receiver run free in the middle of the field. Bad zone coverage there by the OU secondary.
McCoy just doing whatever he wants early.
* Torrea Peterson in at DT for OU in place of Wade. Texas still just running the ball right up the gut. Texas now at the OU 20-yard line. 1st-and-10.
* Sooners' Quentin Hayes tackles Shipley for a loss on a screen pass and Longhorns have to settle for a field goal.
OU 0 UT 3
* Texas really tempo'd OU on that drive and just ran, ran, ran until McCoy needed to pick up a third down with his arm, which he was able to do easily until that final pass to Shipley that was thrown for a loss.
* Interesting to see what OU does offensively to start this game. They need to stay away from a three-and-out to start the game. Texas has a lot of momentum on offense.
SOONERS TAKE OVER AT 25-YARD LINE AFTER TOUCHBACK
* Sooners run a misdirection to Sterling Shepard for a 26-yard gain for their first play.
* Bell picks up OU's first third-down with a pass to a wide open Brennan Clay.
* Keith Ford in the game on the first drive. Sooners now running the ball themselves.
* Brennan Clay drops a TD pass from Bell. Clay looked like he was worried about going out of bounds. His body was just a bit twisted up.
* Michael Hunnicutt kicks a 34-yard field goal to tie things up 3-3.
OU 3 UT 3
* Biggest difference in OU and Texas' first drives is OU dropped a TD pass in the endzone.
TEXAS TAKES OVER AT 25-YARD LINE AFTER TOUCHBACK
* Texas continues to test OU up the middle. Jordan Wade in at DT. First run goes for 5 yards.
* Sooners bring in P.L. Lindley on 3rd-and-2. Texas picks up the first down easily.
* Longhorns pass on first down and lose yards. Bad decision by Longhorns to get away from the running game that is working so well.
* Striker called for roughing the passer but not targeting. I don't get that call. Seemed like a good football play. Longhorns end up with the ball at the OU 23-yard line. 1st-and-10.
* Bergeron is called down but fumble is under review. Review gives ball to OU at 3:10 remaining in first quarter.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE 20-YARD LINE
* Damien Williams with his first run of hte game. He gets absolutely hammered on the second run of the game. 3rd-and-4. Big play after the turnover just happened.
* Bell just panicked with pressure in his face. That's the first time we've seen him do that. It was costly. He wanted to make a play. He did. A really, really bad one.
OU 3 TEXAS 10 with 2:29 remaining in the first quarter
* Blake Bell's first possession as a mortal OU QB has begun.
* Blake Bell almost throws his second pick of the first quarter to end the first quarter. Sooners will start the second quarter punting.
END OF THE FIRST QUARTER OU 3 TEXAS 10
* If you haven't noticed, this game is not going OU's way.
TEXAS TAKES OVER AT 19 AFTER KEITH FORD KILLS A MAN
* Sooners going for their first 3-and-out of the day.
* Yeah, Texas picked up 3rd-and-forever with a run. Zach Sanchez missed a tackle. Texas runs next play for another big chunk and a first down.
* The loss of Jordan Phillips is killing OU right now. The way Texas is running the ball is exactly why Jackie Shipp got fired.
* Sooners hold on 4th-and-short as Striker pressures McCoy into a bad throw.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE 23-YARD LINE
* Blake Bell set to re-enter the game. Do you think about maybe trying Knight in the zone-read package?
* Sooners recover a fumble and Bell throws a pick six. OU forces Texas to turn the ball over on downs and they go three-and-out. The biggest reason why they are losing right now.
NICE PUNT BY BARNETT AND TEXAS TAKES OVER AT THEIR OWN 27-YARD LINE
* Sooners actually had T. Peterson and Jordan Wade on the field in 3rd-and-short. Texas easily converted.
* OU has to call a timeout because they were massively confused on defense. Texas had an uncovered receiver split out wide.
* Kass Everett burned for a TD.
OU 3 TEXAS 17
* Texas is 8-of-10 on third downs today. Just terrible defense by the Sooners.
SOONERS TAKE OVER AT THE 25-YARD LINE
* Blake Bell is playing his worst game as a QB. Yes, that's solid analysis.
* I'm not sure OU doesn't go with Trevor Knight or Kendal Thompson out of halftime if he continues to look this anemic.
* Sooners convert a 3rd-down but Daryl Williams called for holding.
* Bell sacked on third down. Sooners are now 1-of-6 on third down. Bell had a chance to pull it down but waited too long. Sooner receivers couldn't get open or Bell couldn't find them.
* Bell just does not have it today. He looks jittery in the pocket, unsettled. He's way off his game. All the calm, cool, collected ways of Bell are not present.
TEXAS TAKES OVER AT THEIR OWN 47-YARD LINE
* Texas kicks a 50-yard field goal.
OU 3 TEXAS 20
* Texas started this game establishing the line of scrimmage and everything has developed from there. OU's inability to stop their run game put Texas in a lot of 3rd-and-shorts. Then McCoy started gaining confidence completing passes. Now it's gotten out of hand where McCoy is just picking on the OU secondary.
FINCH RETURNS KICKOFF TO THE UT 27-YARD LINE
* Sooners pick up a first down on the ground with 2:07 remaining before halftime.
* OU running out of the diamond formation. It's Trey Millard time before Damien Williams walks into the endzone.
That was quick.
OU 10 TEXAS 20
* Credit Heupel for discovering the run game.
TEXAS TRIES A REVERSE ON KICKOFF. TAKE OVER AT 32-YARD LINE WITH :58 REMAINING
* Lord. OU defense can't even hold out UT for :58 seconds. They are already at the OU 32-yard line.
* Texas has a field goal try just before the half ends.
* 43-yard field goal for Texas. OU 10 TEXAS 23
* No QB runs for OU in this game.
OU 108 TEXAS 303
BLAKE BELL 5-for-12 for 35 yards and 1 INT
RUSHING TREY MILLARD 5 for 24 yards
CASE MCCOY 10-for-15 for 143 yards and 1 TD
* Texas has rushed for 160 yards in the first half. That's 52 more yards than OU has total.
* Texas ended the first half 9-for-12 on third down conversions.
* Greg Robinson is a hell of a defensive coach. Manny Diaz is a hell of a putz.
START OF THE SECOND HALF OU WILL RECEIVE
* Sooners come back out in four wide after doing so well in the diamond formation before half.
* Back to the diamond formation for a nice run from Keith Ford. Heupel didn't lose his mind completely.
* Bell's best pass of the day to Trey Millard for a 29-yard gain.
* Bell had a wide-open running lane on 3rd-down and just took too long to pull it down. 4th-and-3 from the 20-yard line.
* Michael Hunnicutt hits a 37-yard field goal.
OU 13 TEXAS 23
* Sooners get that field goal back Texas got just before halftime. OU run game back on track a little bit. Blake Bell gets some confidence in his throwing to start the second half.
* OU seemed to do everything right and held Texas to three-and-out but Aaron Colvin called for defensive holding and gives UT a first down.
* Call was a bail-out because McCoy and receiver were not even on the same page.
* Striker with a tackle for a loss. 3rd-and-13. Huge play here.
* Striker seems determined to take this game over on his own. UT will have to punt.
TERRIBLE PUNT BY TEXAS OU TAKES OVER AT THE 42-YARD LINE
* OU's cute stuff isn't working. Texas has very good speed. Too many screens and things. OU has had most success going right at Texas. They have to punt again.
TEXAS TD ON PUNT RETURN
* Terrible job of breaking down near the punt returner. Daje Johnson makes it 29-13 Texas.
OU TAKES OVER
* Keith Ford with a punishing first down.
* Bell throws another interception.
* OU has played like crap today. That's a complete understatement. Bell got pressure, panicked again and floated a ball out there for an easy UT interception.
TEXAS TAKES OVER AT THEIR OWN 30-YARD LINE
* Colvin goes to the sideline. Appears to be a shoulder.
* Sooners replace Colvin with Cortez Johnson
* McCoy hits Mike Davis for a TD. Zach Sanchez on the coverage.
* Can we call this a blowout?
OU 13 TEXAS 36
* I say give the ball to Kendal Thompson and lets see what happens.
OU TAKES OVER AT THE 25-YARD LINE
* Blake Bell still your QB.
* Roy Finch gets a carry.
* Bell almost throws another pick.
END OF THE THIRD QUARTER
* Blake Bell. Intentional grounding. Can't get any worse right?
TEXAS TAKES OVER
* 13:52 to play. Sooner fans probably wondering when this will end at this point.
* Bell appears to be coming back into the game at QB.
DO I NEED TO KEEP ANALYZING?
* Blake Bell can't connect on deep balls even if the receiver is open. He overthrows almost every deep pass he attempts.
* Jalen Saunders is no longer a part of the OU offense? Why? Sterling Shepard was non-existent today as well.
* Geneo Grissom with a pick six TD on Case McCoy.
* We are winding down. OU 20 UT 36
* Will the Longhorns claim this as their 65-13 now?