Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
November 16, 2013
Instant Analysis from Iowa State
Here is the injury situation
OUT: Aaron Colvin, Jordan Evans, Sterling Shepard, Keith Ford
PLAYING: Julian Wilson
That's not a great injury update. Sooners only get back one of five injured at Baylor.
* OU just showed the Eric Striker hit on Case McCoy as their big hit on the pregame video. That was a 15-yard penalty dudes.
* OU chose not to highlight the defensive starters. They didn't want to lie that much to the fans. They introduced Sterling Shepard as a starter on the offense even though he's in street clothes.
* Sooners going on defense first. Will be interesting to see if Iowa State comes in here with some tricks up their sleeve in this opening drive.
IOWA STATE FIRST POSSESSION
* Cortez Johnson in for Aaron Colvin at corner.
* Chuka Ndulue in at DE for the suspended Charles Tapper. Iowa State reels off a couple of big runs and it already at midfield.
* Then Iowa State gets hit with a chop block.
* Julian Wilson and Gabe Lynn fighting with each other after a receiver gets behind both of them. The pass was overthrown. OU got away with one there.
* OU gets another offsides call. I can't remember an OU defense that has so many issues staying onside.
*I'm gonna predict Jed Barnett is going to kick a 5-yard punt today after watching Van Derkamp's first punt.
OU TAKES OVER ON OFFENSE AT THEIR OWN 39-YARD LINE
* 3rd-and-3. Sooners gonna avoid a 3-and-out to start the game?
* Bell hits Jaz Reynolds to pickup OU's first first down of the game. Roy Finch got the start at RB for the Sooners today.
* Bell pulls it down and runs it and he gets sandwiched. If you were rooting for Blake Bell to get hurt there so Kendal Thompson can play, you are going to hell.
Not to mention, they'd probably just play Trevor Knight anyway.
* OU gets a holding penalty. Now it's 3rd & 20.
* OU's offense not off to a great start.
* If this game ended right now, ISU would win on style points. They look better than OU so far with 9:26 remaining in the first quarter.
* Like most teams in this day and age, Iowa State already forgot they ran the ball down OU's throat for good yardage just a drive ago.
* Cortez Johnson gives up a first down to ISU receiver. His first time to get challenged without Colvin in there.
* Stanvon Taylor in for Cortez to defend and tip a pass to Quentin Hayes for an OU interception.
* If Blake Bell throws a pick six here, I think we might get to see Mike Stoops take a swing at a player.
OU TAKES OVER AFTER THE INT
* Dangit, I didn't get my offensive analysis going fast enough and OU already went three-and-out.
* Dear Trevor Knight, no one would blame you if you started warming up right now. Same goes for you Kendal Thompson.
* Stanvon Taylor looks like he has replaced Cortez Johnson for a while at that other corner. I think it's going to be hard to throw anything deep against this wind. So great coverage deep isn't exactly a must.
* Here's the thing that screws OU. They have 25 yards of offense and they have been with the wind the entire time. Against the win, it will be much tougher on offense.
* Iowa State now down to the OU 12-yard line. This is not good. OU has 25 yards of total offense in the first quarter and Iowa State has 123 yards of total offense. OU has run just 9 plays to ISU's 24.
* ISU QB Richardson walks into the endzone and Iowa State leads what appears to be a hapless group of Sooners 7-0.
SOONERS GET THE FOOTBALL AT THE 25-YARD LINE
* Damien Williams runs for 17 yards and then #Sooners suffer a bad snap.
* Trevor Knight comes in the game on 2nd-and-15?
* OU goes for it on 4th-and-2.
* Trevor Knight throws his firs tpass and shows why he lost the job in the first place. Really ugly pass in the flats that loses two yards.
* Knight completes pass to Jalen Saunders.
* Knight completes a pass to Lacoltan Bester. This Knight kid looks good.
* Sooners going with more diamond formations with Knight in thegmae.More Rip and Brannon Green. Sooners get to five yard line where it's 3rd-and-Goal.
* Knight throws incomplete on 3rd down trying to hit Bester on a corner route in the endzone.
* Sooners have to settle for a field goal from Hunnicutt. Good news? The offense has some real life for the first time today.
Now can Knight stay healthy and can he keep throwing the football?
* I would say the Blake Bell era is over in Norman. I know that's a big statement, but my guess is that Stoops made this call and just decided it was going to be Knight after more struggles from Bell.
OKLAHOMA 3 IOWA STATE 7
Iowa State had a 17-yard pass, a 22-yard run and a 15-yard personal foul on OU that took them all the way down to the OU 15-yard line. The drive stalled but Iowa State kicks a field goal to get those three points back.
OU 3 ISU 10
* Blake Bell is standing on the 42-yard line with no helmet. Could have been dinged up on that last run he had.
* Looking forward to seeing what Trevor Knight is going to do on this possession.
ROY FINCH RETURNS KICKOFF TO MIDFIELD
* But OU called for holding so now they'll get the ball at the 9-yard line.
* Three straight runs for OU and they have a first down at the 22-yard line.
* Trevor Knight tries his first deep pass and it was overthrown by about 10 yards.
* Well after a 19-yard loss on a reverse all that offensive momentum has vanished. Sooners will have to punt.
Here comes that possible 5-yard punt from Jed Barnett.
OU DEFENSE GETS A STOP
* Jalen Saunders says screw the offense and returns a punt 91-yards for a TD.
OU 10 ISU 10
OU WILL GET THE BALL TO START THE SECOND HALF
START OF THE SECOND HALF
Start of Iowa State's death. Damien Williams takes the second play from scrimmage in the second half and runs for a 69-yard TD.
OU 17 ISU 10
* Big TD for OU going against the wind, although OU's TDs have both come against the wind. Maybe I'm making too much out of it.
IOWA STATE TAKES OVER
* Defense seems to have things in gear to start the second half. three-and-out for the OU D.
* Saunders muffs the punt but recovers. OU takes over on the 33-yard line.
* Some people were just sworn in to the military during that last break. I'm hoping for a wedding during the next timeout.
* Trevor Knight has the most awkward quarterback keeper since Iowa State's QB just decided to sit down on the field earlier in the game.
* Iowa State nails OU punter Jed Barnett on 4th-and-11. OU gets first down and drive stays alive. ISU really brought a ton of pressure there and just didn't get there in time and didn't pull up.
* Hard to tell Brennan Clay and Roy Finch apart right night. Clay running really well. Sooners down to teh 15-yard line.
* Nike really has no clue what number to make that Red River Rivalry gold jersey for next year.
* Trevor Knight missed a touchdown pass.
* OU has to settle for a field goal.
OU 20 ISU 10
* Trevor Knight has jump-started this offense, but does anyone think this offense can make enough plays consistently to win games the next two weeks? It's a legit question, not being a jerk.
* Tremendous job by Frank Shannon taking on a blocker, shedding him and chasing down the QB for a sack.
* Sanchez getting picked on all of a sudden.
* Not sure what happened but I lost some analysis.
Great to see Brennan Clay get a 63-yard TD on senior day. Always been one of our favorites.
OU leading 27-10 and they could end up covering with another TD and a field goal.
* OU defense is tightening.
Mike Stoops still losing his mind on the sideline. He gets so mad it sometimes looks like he forgets he has to signal in the defensive call.
* I'd love to think Kendal Thompson would get some reps if OU scored another TD.
* Other question is if Bell doesn't get the cobwebs is he still playing?
* Trevor Knight runs for 25 yards on 1st down. Nice speed by Knight there.
* The giant OHP Trooper that serves as Stoops bodyguard just body slammed a fan who ran onto the field aduring a timeout.
* Meanwhile Damien Williams runs for a 19-yard TD. ISU's defense is atrocious.
* Time to head down to the field. OU dominates the second half up 41-10.
* Let's see if Stoops comes after the media in the postgame. He might be kind of salty.